Wednesday 5 October 2011

Time

I normally find a away around work to have my own time. In fact I consider myself an expert on managing the time.  Since I was young I have always got up quite early " Up and Jump" used to be my expression as soon as my eyes had got used to the daylight. Even during my travels I was always the first one up, doing my yoga and then having breakfast as soon as the kitchen opened in one of the hostels I stayed at. The saying " we can sleep when we are dead" might sound really annoying to some, but to me that is what I swear by. Looking back at my time travelling; I am sure that I was awake 30-40% more than most other travellers I met and since I am someone who is always on the go, imagine how much more I crammed in than my friends! Of course it is all individual as some people get far more out of staying at the hostel drinking, sleeping in the day and just taking time in one place, but for me that does not work.  
One of my bedside table books is Bodil Jönsson's " Tio tankar om tid"- "Ten Thoughts about time".  She is a physicist who has managed to grasp what time is in a very concise and approachable way. She reminds us of how to take care of our time on this planet and how to "stretch" time. The first and easy thing to do is to not repeat small experiences like going to the same restaurant, ordering the same food, travelling the same journey to work. But instead making sure that every day contains new experiences, this way there is a defined moment in everyday, which looking back makes it feel longer. 






I found a swedish blog discussing time as well and she had some interest points:


In US, researchers has found :



  •  the average person spends FIVE YEARS in a car queue.
  •  a whole year is spent looking for things 
  • Two years are spent trying to get hold of people whom are unreachable!
  • Couples spend only four minutes a day talking to each other about important matters.

These facts are hardly surprising. What do you do to stretch your life out? How do you make the days and weeks seem longer? I am curious since it is one of life's real challenges.


1 comment:

  1. its so true. I just came back from my first visit to China, OMG what a different culture, everything is so different to the way I am used to live life in the Western World. Could believe on first sight all those different images, behaviours, reactions as I was staying with my Chinese girl friend in her hometown Chongqing in southwest China.

    ReplyDelete